Battles are a fun way to pit your characters against a wild variety of denizens of the Paperverse while gaining gold and loot.
How battles work
Battles are a collaborative effort of the community to work together to fight against a common enemy, a boss. Battles are conducted through a special form in the forums and are processed by a bot to calculate your attack damage and the boss's counter attack damage. Each attack requires that you draw a work of art following the given prompts.
Gold is always a reward for participating. Your gold reward will be based on how much you participate in the battle--the more attacks you make, the more gold you'll receive! If you land the finishing blow, you get an extra gold drop.
There may also be additional rewards such as items. Check the battle thread for details.
You don't need to take any extra action to redeem gold and item rewards. Just follow the normal instructions for the battle. Rewards will be processed by an admin separately through the normal submission queue process. You don't have to submit your art to the queue because the BattleMasterBot will automatically submit it to the queue for you.
AP Reward amounts
- For written submissions, you can redeem 5 AP.
- For artwork, you can redeem 5 AP for sketches and 7 AP for full color works.
If your submission is a duocast and both characters are present in the art or writing, BOTH characters get to redeem the AP. Both characters AP will be added during the same request. However, only the main character doing the attack will receive any item rewards.
How to participate
Battles are a special event that occur roughly every three months and last over the period of 2-3 weeks. Keep an eye on the News section for announcements of battles or join the mailing list to get notified when new battles start.
- A battle opens and is announced on our blog with details on how to participate. It will include a list of drawing/writing prompts.
- Purchase a Battle Token from the Item Shop and equip it to your character. You may want to craft and equip Armor to help your defense.
- Create a sketch or finished artwork from one of the art prompts provided. Uploaded your art submission and tag it with
PDARPGBossBattleand your character's id tag
- Unlike our earlier battles, art is now required to do an attack.
- Support for writing submissions isn't yet available but you can submit your writing as an art entry temporarily until we fix this issue.
- Visit the battle forum thread and fill out the attack form.
- Choose the artwork you just uploaded.
- Choose your character. By default if you don't pick another character, your main elemental attack is used. If you choose a second character, it will duocast with them.
- At this time, you're limited to just your main elemental attack and duocasts. Additional abilities will open up in 2022.
- If you want to duocast with another character, get permission from the owner of that character first before duocasting.
- Click [Attack!!] and you should see the BattleMasterBot respond with your attack. Your artwork will automatically be added to the submissions queue for AP counting and reward processing.
- Your character must be registered and have an element defined on its character sheet.
- Your character must have at least 1 HP. Once your character runs out of HP, your character is out of the fight.
- You must equip a battle token to your character (see above)
Your character must be at least rank 2 to participate in battles.We are waiving this requirement until 2022.
If you run low on HP, you can use a healing item to replenish HP.
- Purchase a healing item from the shop such as the Unicorn Earwax or Narwhal Sushi
- Put in a request in the healing thread. Details will be included in the boss instructions blog post. These are currently processed by an admin but later we'll have a system where you can self-serve use a healing item.
Different elements will be strong or weak against other elements. Keep an eye out for the elemental alignment of your enemy-- it will affect how effective your attacks are in battle!
Check out the Elements chart for information on what duocast combinations create which secondary elements.
1 vs 1?
We've had requests to allow players to pit their characters against other characters. We aren't able to support this yet but we will consider it in the future.