This guide is for those considering becoming a volunteer for PaperDemon.
First thank you so much for contributing to our community. This is a great chance to give back to the art community, help others, and gain experience.
One really important thing to keep in mind is that even though you are a volunteer and not getting paid for the work you do, you're still expected to treat it like a job.
As a volunteer or moderator, you are a representative for PaperDemon so you'll be expected to lead by example. Below are the expectations for the various roles. Please read them over carefully.
Sign up to volunteer
Ready to sign up as a volunteer or want more info? Please send an email [email protected]
Applicable to all volunteers/mods
- Open, honest, frequent communication.
- Communicate if you can't perform duties. Family/health/work/life stuff happens and might keep you from performing your duties. It's OK and it happens to all of us but what's most important is that you inform us so we can make alternative arrangements.
- If you aren't able to keep up with your duties, contact BogusRed and let's renegotiate.
- You may through your volunteer/moderating duties be exposed to privileged information, user data, or personally identifiable information. Do NOT share this information with anyone other than those involved. Do not share details of our volunteer/staff/moderator chat publicly or with friends.
- If you're unsure what to do, ask.
- Be familiar with the Site rules.
- Attend regular volunteer meetings (usually video chat) to discuss open issues if your specific role needs it.
- Stay up to date on comms in Discord #staff-and-volunteers channel or any applicable channel for your role for things like the meeting schedule, tasks, etc.
- You'll be expected to behave and uphold our Community Guidelines to the utmost standard. Don't instigate or retaliate against members.
- Be inclusive. This means helping others feel welcome and invite them to participate, get to know them, and be mindful if others voices are not being heard, give them a chance to speak.
- If you become aware of a rule violation, report it to a moderator (or if you are a moderator, take appropriate action).
If you have additional time or energy
We don't want to put undue pressure on you. If you have extra time/energy, these are some additional ways you can help us but these are not expected.
- Community engagement
- Help newcomers and long time members alike feel welcomed. Comment on their work and engage with them.
- Spread the word about our challenges and community events.
- Chatting in the discord
- Participate yourself in challenges so you can get familiar with the game and help others
- Encourage participation in challenges, community events, etc
- Answer member questions about PaperDemon
Social Media manager role
- Post useful and engaging content to our social media channels in accordance with our social media strategy document.
- Post regular community announcements for community events, including the meetups
Lore contributor role
- Share ideas for possible lore
- Complete written lore documents as agreed upon
Applicable to all moderators/admins:
- respect privacy of users. if you gain access to things like user email addresses, do not use them for your own or someone else's gain.
- all moderator related communications about users (such as records of user logs which contain a record of rule breaking by users) must remain confidential.
Role specific responsibilities:
- Discord Moderator
- Being a PD moderator requires confronting rule violators to uphold our community guidelines and rules. We expect our mod staff to be able to do this in a clear but gentle and empathetic way. If confronting others is something outside your comfort zone, becoming a moderator may not be the best fit for you.
- Be active in the discord and following either all channels or the channels you're designated to moderate
- Remove spam
- Manage roles and channels
- For minor rule violations, asking posters to edit/remove their post to comply with rules
- For major rule violations, discuss with other mods on appropriate consequences and deliver consequences (e.g. warnings and mutes)
- Resolve disputes, talk to members not following rules, enforce rules, shut down conversations that are problematic to the community
- Share records of needed evidence such as screenshots of problem messages for more major rule violations.
- Monitor the #mod-report and #mod-log channels to keep up with violations reported by other members or other mods
- Discord Administrator
- Kick/ban spammers and trolls
- PaperDemon.com JR Moderator
- flags things that might be in violation of Site rules using the flagging system or by posting in the Moderator Discord chat
- PaperDemon.com Moderator - all of the above plus
- edit/remove submissions or posts in violation with the rules
- answer questions about Site rules
- spam removal
- PaperDemon.com Administrator - all of the above plus
- general account help (reset passwords, change username, etc)
- organize monthly meetups